Saturday, August 17, 2013

New Reading Area

Every August, my classroom is a blank slate. 

In May, everything has to come off the walls and every little trinket has to be hidden in the closets. From the previous post, you can see there is nothing. I have the basic furniture layout that stays pretty much the same. There are "design elements" that I recycle into the garbage as I bring in new ideas from Pinterest. (Yes, I have made/copied some of the millions of ideas I have pinned!!) I always keep in mind that I want my students to feel welcomed and that I spend a lot of time here.

I'm at the end of our mod and I have this area outside my classroom that I decided was "prime real-estate" that needed to be used...a reading nook. I also needed more bookshelf space for all my wonderful novels.




I need to get another rug. The rug under the rocker is the one that the school has in front of the door.


I have these really ugly black filing cabinets that I need for storage. You know the ones??!!! I decided to use an idea I saw on Pinterest and I really like how it turned out. I used Mod Podge - matte finish, a foam brush and 12X12 scrapbook paper. First, I spread the Mod Podge on with the foam brush and then pressed the paper onto the filing cabinet. I used an old used gift card to make sure it was smooth. (Next time, I will take pictures as I am doing a project.) After all the paper was attached, I let it dry. Finally, I applied Mod Podge all over the side of the filing cabinet to seal it. It all drys clear and I can attach magnets.

What new project did you add to your classroom this year?




No comments: