Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Book Whisperer



Click Here

Every reading teacher and home-school parent should read this book! This book was assigned as our summer professional development. After we read each chapter, we will record our answers to some thought-provoking questions. My answers will be on my blog (save-a-tree!) Our principal gave us the first 2 questions and then each grade level will create 2 questions for each chapter. After tonight, I plan to share some of my highlights from the book and share the questions.

Tonight, I wanted to offer some over-all thoughts about the book. It was very easy to read so no excuses! The author, Donalyn Miller, is from Texas so I feel she understands the pressure we have for our state mandated tests. She offered alternative activities to replace the traditional activities found in classrooms. I wonder how she gets her grades from some of the activities? I plan to give my students the time to read books of their choice independently. AND I will read during this time so I can talk to them about the books...books that are their level! It gets me excited to think I can take time, in my busy day, to read a book!

Happy Reading,
Melanie

No comments: